Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Character Stats: You Couldn't Have Rolled That

Rolling ability scores in DnD can be a painfully tedious endeavor.  If you don't watch every player roll his/her ability scores, you're likely to face at least one person in the group who has somehow miraculously rolled three 18's, two 17's, and a 16.  This is especially true of younger players or rookie players.  I try to stress one important fact to my players before we ever begin an adventure; your skill as player, not your ability scores, will determine your success in this campaign.  Ability scores are just numbers on a piece of paper.  So, why do some players get so hung up on having high stats?  I think part of it lies in the fact that, until they've played the character in an adventure, the stats are the only method by which they can visually measure up their character.  The stats, in essence, replace the imagination when envisioning the character in their mind.

There are many methods outlined in the Player's Handbook on generating ability scores and I won't go over them.  Some purist DM's will say, "the only method you should use is rolling 3d6 six times and writing the numbers down."  That's all well and good, but as a DM, I like to give my players at least some choice in who and what their characters will be.  I use a simple point method in character creation.  Each player has 72 "points" to divide as they see fit among the six ability scores.  The results are usually pretty good.  Sure, someone can have an 18, but when you have to split up those other 5 abilities with only 54 points, it becomes more of a challenge.  I find that this method allows the players to have the versatility to be able to play the class they want, say a Ranger, while still having some semblance of balance in relation to their ability scores.

The key factor, in my opinion, is getting the players to realize that ability scores do not make the character who he/she is or will become.  The play of that character will eventually determine his or her destiny.  Ability scores, like everything else in the game, are merely tools to be utilized when necessary.

So, what are your thoughts on rolling ability scores?  Do you as a DM give the player any liberty in determining their characters' stats or do you believe in letting the roll of the dice determine such factors?

6 comments:

  1. The last time I ran D&D, I used a point assignment method. I'm pretty firmly in the camp that players should be able to design their characters according to specs. I know that my own favorite character wouldn't have been possible without the chance to intentionally give her an 8 STR and fairly good (but not spectacular) DEX, CHA, and WIS. Making characters is fun and the only way to imagine a character in advance of a game (which increased the anticipation for a game) is to have some control over stat assignment.

    That being said, I have come to appreciate randomness when all players are on board. I ran a great session of Old School Hack where all characters generated their stats randomly and it was great fun. Then again, stats don't mean a hell of a lot in that game. And I like how ICONS does random character creation (though I suspect that's prefer to use point buy if I ever played the game myself). And the random character generation system of classic Traveller is part of that game's charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, thumbs up for random - 3d6, in order. If the guy is hopeless, re-roll. (We defined hopeless as the sum of the ability modifiers are 0 or lower).

    We have an elf with a 5 Con, and a magic user with an 18 con. Funny stuff. Stats <> the awesomeness the character becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Risus, one of my biggest regrets is that I never put forth the effort to give Traveller a try years ago. I think I would have enjoyed it. I too think the players having an input into the creation of their character makes it more fun and interesting for them.

    Beedo, I see nothing wrong with the random method per se and I can definitely see how it could produce some pretty interesting results around the gaming table given the right combination of scores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started playing in 82 and never understood the random method. From a game design point of view I don't see a lot of reason for it. If you can choose race, class, weapons, alignment and equipment, why not ability score? I'm not sure if there are many system designed in the past 20 years that rely upon random attributes. It seems a little...archaic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always gave my players two options: To Roll 3d6 12 times and pick the best 6 scores then put them in the order they wanted. Or they could roll 4d6 drop the lowest die 6 times and then put them in the order they wanted. It's a game, and it's the player's alter egos, so I always wanted them to be able to play what they wanted to play. So long as everyone was having fun, it worked for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christian, I'm not sure either other than to give new gamers a frame of reference in terms of calculating ability scores. I've played in games in which the ability scores were completely rolled at random and the results can be entertaining.

    stonewerks, Yes those are solid methods as well. Players feel that high stats usually gives them the edge in scenarios and in some cases it could, but I always tell them, you'll get more satisfaction out of succeeding if it's more of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete